Thursday, May 28, 2009

Khiyara!!!


In Egypt, they say that life is like a Kheyara (cucumber) yom fi idak we yom fi tizak! (one day in ur hands once day in ur ass!) The kheyara has been in my hands for this past month and I have been holding it proudly but now it came in my ASS!!

My previous post was about "Justice at last" haha isn't it ironic don't you think (3ala raye2 Alanis) I got robbed in front of my house!!

Parking my car all happy and proud of my 2hours work out, I decide to throw everything in my bag which never happens (if you ever saw me gathering my stuff you will see me always holding everything in my hands especially my phone Ipod and Keys,) anyway, im holding the stupid gym bag (that I wish was on the other shoulder!! )with the other shoulder holding my big bag with all my stuff and then this car that I will bomb( as soon as I spot it again),slows down next to me. I knew there was something fishy, I tried to move away but my reflex as you should know is a bit slow and then one thing led to another this son of a**** grabbed my bag and next thing I know I am running( trying) and shouting insulting him in Arabic eheh( it was funny because I was in the middle of my street with all my neighbors, my parent's friends insulting the guy ehe what a Lady eheh but I really don't care I will not show respect in those circumstances!) ( oh and I forgot to tell you how after the incident eheh the doorkeeper of the building next to me wanted us to go together in my car chase the robbers eheh) Back to the story... 

That was it, in tiny seconds I lost everything, it's not a big deal actually because half of the things that were in the bag, half of the people in my country don't have access to them so let's not be materialistic( it was hard at first I must say but I am trying). The funny thing is that I only had 20 pounds in my wallet ( but there was my phone and my Ipod but then again if u sell those it's not that much) so my bag was not a real treasure for him unless  Greek facial Yogurt cream was what he was looking for!

Of course I was feeling horrible, it's such as disgusting thing to happen to anyone. What annoyed me the most is how fast it happend and how I keep thinking that I could have prevented this from happening. I saw the car slowing down why didnt I take a bigger step towards the sidewalk why?? I am sure he must have thrown my bag in the street and only took the valuable things which is why I wanted to go on a mission and look for my bag  (my fixation was on my Green Morrocan pencil case and a baby picture in my agenda!! You have to understand that in those situations you tend to lose your mind a bit) But of course everyone told me I was crazy eheh I know..but I had some hope. What is funnier is how after the event (let's not call it an incident it's to dramatic) I was suspiciously  looking at all the cars around me searching for the Mitsubishi Lancer 200o model either silver or golden-beige ( im pretty sure it's golden beige) ouh!! if I find this car again stop me eheh I will commit a crime! (as if I could ...).

The other thing that annoyed me the most is that according to the neighbors it is the fifth time it happens in our area. I heard many stories of guys grabbing a girl's purse and running away in the same car and I was surprised. Same story, same car!!! So what the hell? Is it that hard to put some security cars in the area and find the guys or do we need to hire a special secret unit for the crimes of a golden Mitsubishi in 21st Isaac Jaboc street?

But on the bright side, I got to go to a police station( it was a small one)  for the first time in my life! ( im still a little girl yes..) and it was interesting, I was not surprised as I hear many things about police stations in Egypt and all the system but seeing it live was another thing.

Walking in the dusty room, with old couches, small chairs with a portrait of our beloved president ( a portrait of him 20 years ago) we went to see the amin shorta ( i am sorry im really bad with the official names in English ) with his pinky finger nail( you know the small one with the only one long disgusting nail) and the typical moustache eheh. It is amazing how he can talk on the phone smoke a Kilobatra cigarette, pick his nose and ears at the same time!!  I felt the irony when he was talking to us and calling his supervisor about us he was saying come fast it's a journalist(haha right?). I knew in his mind he was saying "Oh it's just a little spoiled girl from Masr El Guedida who got her Longchamp purse and her Fendi sunglasses stolen"(I'm not showing off and I actually feel that it's a shame to spend money on material stuff that can disappear in a second but I'm a girl after all) . 
To the shorta, a small incident like this seems insignificant I know Egypt has many other problems but if we can't fix a problem like this( same car, same area, same scenario!!) how will we fix the bigger ones? People are starving and are repressed in Egypt and there is no such thing as social equality but what can we do? It's hard to realize that you don't feel safe in your own country. You don't even feel safe towards the police in your country(They are the ones who harass us most of the time!). I am 21 after all, I am a grown up what do you think would have happened if I went alone to the police station? Nothing and until now, nothing happened to my case.   

I keep thinking, this stupid inhumane being stole the bag to do what? Looking for money to survive? I don't think so, he was in a relatively good car (compared to the majority of other cars in the street ..I have a Mitsubishi and the older model)  Did he want money for drugs? Probably yes, I think I saw him smiling... but why me?? Anyhow....

So going back the amin shorta, the way he treated the smaller officers (3assaker) was really bad, you see how abuse of power is a vicious circle, the sad thing is that it has to be this way, you're not going to yell at your supervisor are you? But sorry I really don't get this whole sacred thing about hierarchy in Egypt, in fact I hate it I am pretty sure I can find anyone with a worse job than a zabet let's say and who is more decent. (You know my whole adventure it's pretty small actually but I like to entertain myself...this experience really made me feel in the movie Heya Fawda the latest Youssef Sahin movie) when I was telling this story to a friend he told me "Welcome to Egypt"... yes welcome to Egypt sadly,  but it shouldn't be this way. 

To my surprise,  when I went to the big police station of Heliopolis, I found it very nice compared to the small unit I saw the day before. But I guess the Heliopolis Police station is certainly nicer because it is kind of a nice area in Cairo, (the zobat looked nice also, u know they were not like Mr.fingernail amin shorta). Also the paperwork came really fast I thought it was going to take forever. Well, we had to wait for the ma2mour for half an hour for a stamp!! because his majesty was taking an inspection tour oh la la. 

So it was not that bad after all, I got the khiyara but I try to take it well eheh oh no that's disgusting let me put it in another way. I tried to learn from this experience new things and at least it got me thinking. Where is the core of our problems in Egypt? We have so many but where is the root? Stealing happens everywhere, but it's sad, I want to walk safe in my country, I am really tired of all this pressure... Wearing unrevealing clothes, not walking at night alone, not driving alone, not speaking freely,  I can't do anything normal alone! Sometimes I wish I was a guy in this country...because being a woman is hard trust me but let's not get carried away this topic is big and trust me I have things to say! 

Look out for the mystery robber in a Mitsubishi car women! And to my robber, " May you choke eating my yoghurt cream, get cut from my pencils and keys, electrocuted by my phone, blinded by my sunglasses and get deaf from my ipod na!" 

1 comment:

Mahmoud said...

Pinky long nail, smoking Kilobatra (lol), picking his nose and ear!! wow! i bet you enjoyed that scene! :)