Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Justice at last?


So it was all over the news! An Egyptian important businessman who of course has close ties to the government has been sentenced to death (well actually that was the verdict we still have to see what will happen next). To my understanding the Mufti said his word and it is death penalty and his word is a word. What happened to Egypt? Is it finally coming true? I am sorry Mr.Hisham Talaat Mostafa (yes Hisham the son not Talaat the father as many people confuse them) I don't mean to be happy about him being sentenced to death because I personally am against death penalty but this is justice and for a very long time we forgot it even existed in Egypt. But then again it is too good to be true, is it Egypt trying to protect it's image in front of the International Scene? There are many things we do not know about this case, many under the table things (as usual) was it all a set up? Killing the woman and the businessman? I wish I could feel optimisitc about this case but sadly I don't, I have little hope for it to be a pure case of justice but then again we have to wait and see what happens next.

On a more positive note Saad Eddin Ibrahim's jail sentence was overturned. In the Daily News Egypt, it says that" Judge Ashraf Sheta overturned Ibrahim's August conviction of damaging Egypt's reputation. It was one of a series of lawsuits filed by government sympathizers against the sociologist for criticizing the regime in his writings and advocating the US to make its annual $2 billion aid to the country contingent on political reform". Surprise? I think it's good news, it is still nothing compared to the freedom we wish to have in our country but at least it is a step towards it. Or maybe there is another undercover secret issue behind all of this? Saad Eddin Ibrahim has been criticized a lot for his stances against the government. I heard many things about him, pro american, pro isreali etc.. blablala he was one of the first to pulbicly talk about the inheritence of power scenario, and I think this sentence overturning comes as good news.
I met him once actually (while working for my university's newspaper) and he is a very very nice and interesting men and I think that thinkers like him are a good thing for our country. I don't want to say whether I support his ideas or not because I don't really know and I don't like talking without knowing what I am dealing with. Plus I am have to be as objective as possible looking at things from all the different angles All I know is that there is criticism and provocation and this mix is needed in Egypt.

I guess we have to follow up those cases and we'll see. So far there is a slight image of progress.. who knows it can all be true one day?

Links: http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=21963
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090521/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_slain_singer

No comments: